Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Weather 2009

I have a number of pictures to post, but I will divide it up into a few posts, so I don't have one huge one.

Our original plan was to leave for my parents on Thursday, spend all day Friday there and head home Saturday afternoon stopping quickly by Seth's parents to do Christmas with them that afternoon. However we woke up to the news that snow was moving in and the roads were going to quickly get bad. So we decided to quickly get packed up and go to Seth's parents to spend the night and then to head out to OK (they are on the way, so it would cut off an hour the next day). We arrived in Decatur just right when the weather started getting bad.

Here is Seth braving the weather to get Emma's sippy cup:
The roads got much worse and they closed the turnpike up to my parents in Lawton, so there was no chance of getting out until Saturday. So we stayed in Decatur for a couple days. Macy and Charlie enjoyed playing out in the snow for a few minutes:
So we finally left on Saturday morning, thinking it would be fine since the turnpike was finally open. We got about 20 minutes away from Decatur and got to Bowie and the roads were horrible! The picture below doesn't do it justice. We were driving on a solid, bumpy, sheet of ice. We lost count how many cars we saw that had spun out. And we were going about 2 miles an hour and sliding ourselves. Thankfully. there was a wal-mart a few miles ahead, so we decided to get off there for a little while and let the temperature warm up to melt the roads a little more.

So, we spent an hour walking around walmart, then getting some lunch and Seth helped one of the many cars that were stuck in Bowie:

The roads were a little better, but still pretty bad. Especially through Witchita Falls and when we hit the turnpike that had been closed the whole day before. Emma and I shared the same sentiment about the long car trip: We had thought about turning around and just going home, but we decided to press on. What was suppose to be a 2 hour trip was now turning into a 5 hour trip. Finally, once we crossed the Red River, it was much better.
We changed our plans a little bit and ended up getting to Lawton on Saturday afternoon and then spending the night and coming back today. It was short, but I am glad we were able to go up there.


Devin said...

Glad you made it safely. We also had to change plans due to that crazy blizzard. Merry Christmas! I'm glad you were able to make it to see both families.

Elaine said...

Glad you are safe and sound, and I'm sure Seth's folks enjoyed the extra time with the grandkids.