Monday, March 16, 2009

There goes the mother of the year award...

I have blogged before about my hair falling out. I knew it was annoying, but didn't think it would cause harm to one of my kids. I was changing Emma's diaper this morning and happened to see her toes (she was wearing footed pants) and there was a hair TIGHTLY wound on two of her toes and then together. I tried to cut it off myself, but her toes were so swollen and the hair was tight, there was no way I was going to get it off. So I called Seth and told him what was going on and he said he would come home. I called the doctor's office while he was coming home to see what I should do and they just told me to bring her in. Seth tried to get it off, but her toes were cut on underneath from the hair, we decided it would be better for the doctor's office to get it off. Thankfully Seth was able to stay with Macy and Charlie and Emma and I hurried to the doctor. They worked at it for a little bit and the nurse was 95% sure she got it all off. They said the swelling should go down later today. Here is a picture a while after coming home from the doctor's, can you guess which two toes they were?

So now I feel horrible, she had fussed a little bit earlier this morning when I touched her foot before I knew what had happened, and I thought maybe I had pinched her or something. The hair has had to be wrapped on her toes for at least a few hours. The nurse tried to make me feel better and said this happens alot and that it looked like I caught it relatively early. Sorry Emma!

10 comments:

Summer said...

oh my goodness! That is crazy. So glad you found it when you did.

Melinda said...

Poor thing. Just to let you know, I have heard of this happening before (so you are not alone) and the outcome was a lot worse than yours. You should be thankful you found it in time.Let's just say you were a really good mommy for calling the doctor when you did!!!

Ryan and Katie said...

What in the world?! That seems like a pretty random accident but the nurse said it happens all the time?
Don't worry you are a wonderful mommy :)

Paul said...

I wonder if Emma is thinking about what to get you for Mother's Day. Just kidding.

At least she didn't fall off the bed under your watch. I still have Lila's look of terror engrained in my head from last summer.

Anonymous said...

The exact same thing happened with Andrew when he was about 4 months-ish - well it was just one toe - and it was a string from his sock.

The doctor told me to tell Luke he had "tolio"

suzspeaks said...

That is crazy!! I'm so glad you found it!! You are a great mommy!! :)

Leslie said...

hahahah, oh Katie, though I know she was in pain, I have to admit that was one of the funniest things I have read in a while, because it was so random and yet simple! It makes me think, "only to Katie would something like this happen." :) Glad you guys got it all sorted out. Be careful with that killer hair!!

Elaine said...

Oh my! How odd! You're a great mom, and I must say this is funny and a great story for Emma to tell later in life.

Ted and Anne said...

That is so bizzare and scary! Well, we are glad that Emma (and her mom!) are okay. Katie, you still get mother of the year award as far as I'm concerned :)

April said...

At least you caught it early. Poor Emma. :( She will never know it happened!